Wednesday, July 6, 2011

mast year!

I see little nubs of acorns growing on a lot of our oaks...both the blue and the valley!! One of my early items of research into a sustainable subsistence in the West, ever since imagining living here, has been learning how to process and eat acorns. Eastern oaks produce them too, but they often seem sparse and get wormy quickly, and so I've only gotten to play with them a couple of times there. But in these parts the crops can be legendary, such that large numbers of native peoples made them a staple. They knew about planting, and about corn and beans and such, and sometimes traded for them, but acorns were their carb staple. I went to a workshop in Oregon to see them being cooked the old way, in a tight basket with water and hot rocks! All the way down to modern times, where an ideal leaching suggestion is to tie the mush in a bag in the toilet tank, where each flush gives them a rinse! And then there's the option of eating them once removed....in the form of a chicken, a turkey, or (as the previous owner of the place once bagged....right in the little gully behind the house) a 300# wild hog!!! I guess I need to learn to shoot a bigger rifle than a 22 to make that kind of meat!

2 comments:

  1. I actually ate a little of a raw blue oak acorn last fall just to see how bitter it was and it was not that bad at all. I think they may be some of the yummiest ones. :) I have been so busy trying to plant them I forget to eat them!!! Probably would have better success at the eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutritional Data actually has info on acorns!
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3082/2

    ReplyDelete